Saturday, March 28, 2015

Van's Service Bulletin 14-12-06

Cracking F-1206F Bearing Bracket Brace.  Van's published this service bulletin at year's end of 2014.  Cracks have been reported propagating from the aft rivet hole in the side flanges of the F-1206F bearing bracket brace.

I ordered the small kit containing a new bracket and a new part, a pair of bearing bracket angles and a handful of solid and blind rivets.  Since I again removed the temporarily-fastened tailcone from the forward fuselage, I had access to the bracket, so I figured it was time to get this small task done.


 The new bracket with new angles solid riveted into place shown below.



I never took any pictures of the original bracket which was installed between the two ribs shown below.  The new bracket looks to be identical to the original with the exception of the new, separate angle brackets.


The new bracket/angle assembly now installed as shown below.  I have not reconnected the flaperon brackets, which were removed to make easier access to the ribs.  Another pesky little job is completed!


 In hindsight, I am very happy that I did not have to climb into the baggage compartment of a completed airframe to drill out the 10 blind rivets that fasten this bracket to the ribs.  It was not easy, even with the direct access I had available.  Guess I dodged another bullet.

No comments:

Post a Comment