Friday, January 11, 2013

Powerplant - Viking!



Since well before I began my RV-12 project I have followed Jan Eggenfellner's progress in his development of  the 100 HP Honda Fit engine, which he has dubbed the Viking.  I actually saw it in person at the 2010 Sun 'n Fun flyin where it was mated to a flying Zenith 601 and was relatively impressed with it back then.  The refinements have continued and since then he's sold quite a few to builders of the Sonex, Waiex, Highlander, SeaRay and a plethora of other aircraft including some gyros, and of course, a few RV-12's.

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rotax 912S...with the exception of the price!  I even flew behind one for 14 years and almost 500 hours in my previous sport aircraft, an Ultravia Pelican, shown below.  It was a fine engine and served me well.


But I just can't bring myself to justify a $30,000 expense for the powerplant, especially when the Viking is looking to be about half that price.  I have never had any issue with building the RV as experimental amateur built in lieu of ELSA.  The use of the Viking engine will facilitate a lot of experimental aviation and what I hope to be a bit light engineering  to incorporate it into an already excellent airframe kit.

Yesterday, I placed a deposit with Viking Aircraft Engines for an August 2013 delivery engine.



No comments:

Post a Comment